The start of September signals the beginning of Spring here in Australia. Spring is the time when the flowers start to bloom, baby animals and birds are born. A new life cycle begins. The perfect time to stop, reflect and take a moment for your own self care.
As we get busy during our day to day lives, we often forget to take a moment for ourselves. Everyone else’s needs seem to come before our own. However, it is important that we take care of ourselves. If not for our own sanity, but so we can continue to look out for those we have dedicated our busy days to.
Below are a few small, but simple things which can be added into a day to ensure our own health and wellbeing.
- Remember you – set a time out to appreciate yourself and who you are.
- Write in your journal (or start one). Be grateful.
- Disconnect and unplug.
- Go for a walk around town with no plans.
- Take a long, bubble bath.
- Go to an art gallery.
- Dance or enrol in a random dance class.
- Watch your favourite movie.
- Go to bed early.
- Reconnect with a friend.
- Buy and send yourself flowers – appreciate yourself.
- Meditate. Reflect on yourself.
- Get a massage.
- Read a book.
- Wear something you love, just because.
- Listen to your favourite music just for you.
- Make a cup of tea and enjoy a mooment to yourself.
- Visit a museum you have not seen for a long time.
- Say no to an obligation and do not feel guilty.
- Rediscover your inner child.
- Go for a walk in nature.
- Take yourself out on a date.
- Make YOUR favourite meal.
- Let go of perfection.
- Do some colouring in – colour therapy relaxation.
- Buy your favourite treat and celebrate your success.
- Phone a friend – just because.
- Learn a new skill.
- Sit in the garden and just be.
- Celebrate your success!
At the end of the month you will have picked up which of these were most effective for your self care. Why not add them as a regular routine whenever you feel overwhelmed with the business of life?